Puneet is a partner at Athena Law Associates and his field of specialization is indirect taxes. He has handled matters of clients from diverse industries and has represented them before various courts and tribunals. Puneet has dealt with almost all the VAT laws in India and has argued before number of high courts and tribunals.
Puneet has been involved in some of the land mark cases in High Courts and Tribunals – such as
- “Customs Circulars denying refund if SAD paid by using DEPB scrips were quashed Allen diesels case“
- “whether the State is competent to levy State excise on goods manufactured but exported outside the State – Held yes and hence exempt from VAT in industry matter titled as Gwalior Alcobrew
- “no service tax on builders – judgment of Delhi High Court in Suresh Kumar Bansal case”
- “VAT in a builder’s transaction be only on the value of materials – judgment of P&H High Court in CHD Developers case”
- “Input tax credit available on DEPB Scrips – Delhi High Court judgment in Jagriti Plastics case”
- “Law relating to compounding of offences under Sales Tax – Delhi High Court judgment in Jupiter Exports case”
Puneet holds an honours degree in commerce from the Sri Ram College of Commerce, Delhi University. He completed his law from the Delhi University. He has also done Chartered Accountancy and is a member of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India. He was meritorious in the Chartered Accountancy and was awarded scholarships by the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India.
Puneet has been actively involved in training and lecturing at various forums of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India. He was felicitated by the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India for “Commendable Contribution to the Profession”. He was also awarded as ‘Upcoming Speaker’ by NIRC of Institute of Chartered Accountants of India consecutively for the years 2011-12 and 2012-13. Puneet has been a member of the VAT Study Group and the Service tax study group of the NIRC of ICAI, and also the GST Study Group of the Indirect Taxes Committee of the ICAI.